Thursday, January 13, 2005

Am I Qualified To Write this Stuff?

There's been a spate of newspaper articles recently on "blog ethics" suggesting bloggers might well abide by a code of standards. I've not lined up with any such code but will volunteer my bona fides to comment on crisis communications.

I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in journalism from Iowa and Northwestern respectively. After five years in the Army in the late '60s, I worked with Westinghouse Broadcasting Company all-news radio stations in Philadelphia and Los Angeles, at The Chicago Daily News on its copy desk and as a reporter for The Honolulu Advertiser and KGMB-T V in Honolulu. My crisis communications background includes nearly nine years as communications manager and spokesman for Hawaiian Electric Company during hurricanes and other island-wide power emergencies. I've been consulting with client companies since 1990 and on my own as a sole proprietor since 1993. See my web site below (click "Why Us?") for more background.

Yes, I do believe I'm qualified to suggest changes in NOAA's crisis communications protocols and will continue to monitor this issue up to and beyond the congressional hearings into NOAA's response to the earthquake and tsunami.

Doug Carlson
Honolulu, HI
January 13, 2005
www.DougCarlsonCommunications.com

No comments: