Thursday, February 24, 2005

News Media Call #1 Goes to CNN International

I guess frustration showed in yesterday's post, and now I'm forced to contact the media myself or eat my words.

In fairness to NOAA, the agency may be disinclined to reach out to the news media to discuss new tsunami warning protocols because of what that might imply -- recognition, perhaps, that more could have been done to warn the Indian Ocean region before the December 26 waves reached some nations.

And then there's the alleged tsunami victims' lawsuit that was announced at a Vienna, Austria press conference on February 15th. Since the initial story, which was published at numerous on-line sites, there's been no further on-line coverage about it, but the threat might be enough to squelch NOAA comment and initiative.

Therefore, as noted yesterday, it's time for individual action. My media search began at CNN's web site, which helpfully provides links to bios of anchors, correspondents and executives. Working down the alpha list of executives, it took only three hits to reach Chris Cramer, managing director of CNN International.

Assistant Danette Johnson took my call and heard me out as I outlined my premise (see heading above), and she responded with encouraging news. She said CNN and other organizations are in fact sorting out what their role is in the communications chain between NOAA agencies and distant populations. I followed up with a fairly long e-mail to her referencing my Senate testimony on S.50, The Tsunami Preparedness Act, and subsequent suggestion to improve the bill by specifically mentioning the international news media among communications channels to be used for future tsunami warnings.

Suggestion to CNN: Propose a high-level summit involving the senior leadership of CNN, the Associated Press and NOAA to agree on the need for new crisis communications protocols -- details to be hammered out later.

Tomorrow, the Associated Press.

Doug Carlson
Honolulu, HI
February 24, 2005

No comments: