Wednesday, May 11, 2005

NOAA In No Hurry To Respond, but Get This: Inouye's Office Has Been Waiting for 3.5 Years!

"I'll check." That was the totality of a NOAA staffer's response to my inquiry about when to expect an answer from Admiral Lautenbacher to my April 5 letter. Call me crazy, but I thought the issues we've been discussing had an urgency about them and that an answer might come rather quickly.

But then I got this note from a staffer in Senator Daniel Inouye's office about what to expect from NOAA: "...the senator would be pleased to make an inquiry on your behalf, but please keep in mind that I am still waiting on NOAA reports the senator asked for about 3 1/2 years ago."

Three and one-half years? Is that the way it works in Washington these days? One of the Senate's longest-serving members has been waiting three and one-half years to get a report out of NOAA?

And I'm getting antsy after five weeks. That's almost funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4 months down, only 38 more to go!

Curiously, there seems to be several years between each tsunami disaster, too.

Hang in there.